Bukovac’s childhood home is a typical urban house from the turn of the eighteenth century, a stone structure of two floors with a small garden on the side of the south façade and a spacious back garden on its north. The house, located on one of the little streets that leads from the Cavtat shore towards Prijeko Street, has its own history and “prehistory” – it has been continuously inhabited since ancient times. During excavations of the land on the north side of the house, the remains of a structure from the Roman period were uncovered along with earthen floor, a large number of tegulae (roof tiles), ceramic fragments and two small ceramic pots.
The house was bought by the painter’s grandfather, Giuseppe Fagioni, an Italian seaman who married a local girl and took up permanent residence in Cavtat. Bukovac’s father made additions to the house, as did Bukovac himself.
The house consists of two originally separate units. The west wing had only one story until 1898, when Vlaho Bukovac built another level above it, organizing the top floor as his atelier.
The interior of the east wing of the house has retained its original tight spatial divisions and small rooms, while the west wing is made up of large spaces: the storage room on the ground floor, the tinel on the first floor, and the atelier on the top floor of the house.
Shortly after Bukovac’s death in 1922, his daughters transformed the atelier into an exhibition space open to visitors. In the middle of the 1960’s, the house was bought by the Yugoslavian Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 1976, it was ceded to what was then the municipality of Dubrovnik, which entrusted the administration of the Bukovac House to the Art Gallery of Dubrovnik. As the ground floor was used by the orchestra “Limena glazba Cavtat,” only the top floor functioned as a museum. The entrance to the museum was through an already-existing bridge to the atelier in the back garden.
The Bukovac House, as part of the Museums and Galleries of Konavale, was reopened to the public in 2004.